There are people with the most varied types of allergies. Some have reactions to certain foods, smells, medicines, dust, among others things. However, do you imagine having allergies to your best friend? This type of allergy is more common than we imagine and can generate a series of discomforts and damages to the health of those who live with these animals.
Therefore, owners allergic to their animals have the dilemma: endure the consequences of allergic reaction or say goodbye to animals. So understanding what is and how it is triggered the process of allergic reaction is very useful to avoid or minimize allergic processes.
After all, does immune system helps or hinders?
Allergies are reactions of the immune system, which is nothing more than our defense system. This is extremely important for our protection against the action of disease-causing microorganisms.
However, certain substances that do not necessarily cause diseases, such as saliva from animals, can cause immune system reactions. These substances are called allergens that upon contact with a sensitive organism trigger allergic processes, generating numerous unpleasant symptoms.
Does animal´s fur cause an allergic reaction?
In the case of allergy to dogs and cats, what triggers the reaction is not the animals and their fur, contrary to what many people believe. The substances found in saliva, urine and the desquamation of the skin of pets, which in sensitive people cause itching, red eyes, lacrimation, sneezing, constipation of the airways and in more severe cases even breathing problems.
These substances are released into the air and deposited in the home environment. So, it does not matter if the pet has a lot or no hair, if you have allergy to these substances it does not make that much difference. This is an important information to teach to your friend who considers buying a sphynx, which are cats without hairs, seeking to avoid allergy.
Another important factor is that these substances serve as food for the mites that live in the environments. This means that the more food you have for the mite, the more it grows and reproduces. That way, those who have this type of allergy should be alert to the hygiene of your pet and house cleaning.
Learn how to minimize allergies
Those who suffer from this problem can not neglect the cleaning of the house. All rooms need to be cleaned frequently, using a vacuum cleaner and a damp cloth. Avoid using carpets as they accumulate dust and mites very easily. Clean daily the environments your pet most likes to stay.
It is recommended that dogs and cats do not go to the rooms. Change bedding regularly and keep the animal clean. Baths, in general, should be given every 15 days. Try to keep the house always airy and let the sun reach the environment. Another important factor is washing your hands after all contact with the animals.
If the symptoms persist, there is still hope
All previously named actions reduce exposure of the allergen-sensitive person. However, if problems persist, the allergist can help. Although it has no cure, the allergy can be controlled and its symptoms reduced. Generally, the doctor performs allergy tests to find out which allergens cause these reactions.
Consequently, you do not have to give up having a pet if you have an allergy. Be sure to look for a qualified professional to indicate the most appropriate treatment to not suffer anymore and have more life´s quality.